20 Jun 20

Wakeham

A busy day in the back garden, so not a lot of time for watching the wildlife. What I did see were several Yellow-legged Mining Bees, an Emperor Dragonfly, a 7-Spot Ladybird and a Wood Pigeon devouring the cherries on the tree.

There was also what I thought was a Grey-patch Mining Bee (Andrena nitida) but has turned out to be a new andrena bee for my Portland List. More below:

Here are a few photos and a video from today.

Well it looks like the cherries will be gone soon. One of these years I going to have to put some nets over a few of them, just so that I can try one. At the moment the Wood Pigeons and Blackbirds are scoffing them, before they turn red.

I have a feeling that this............

.........Grey-patched Mining Bee may have just emerged, especially..........

............as it seem determined to find some nectar inside an unopened flower head. However this isn't a Grey-patch Mining Bee (Andrena nitida), but a new andrena for me on Portland. And thank you to my good friend Ed Wilson (FoPL Here), who informed me that this is in fact a Cliff Mining Bee (Andrena thoracica).

A 7-Spot Ladybird resting on one of the garden sticks I use to hold the plants up with. It remained here for quite some time, soaking up the suns rays.

He is such an inquisitive dog is our Ted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today's Sightings Here.


2017
Today' Sightings Here.