21 Apr 20

Wakeham

It's almost like we've skipped Spring and gone straight into Summer, it's that warm. Today was my lockdown day in the back garden and another good one with a Cinnabar Moth to add, not only to my Garden list, but also as a first for Portland. Annoyingly I didn't manage a photograph of it, as it was behind the gate and as I opened it, it flew off. At least I know there's one about.

Another first for the Garden Lockdown list was a Blue Mason Bee (Osmia caerulescens). I have seen these in previous years, so a good one to add to my Lockdown list.

And yet another bee, which had I been able to identify it would have been a first for my Portland List as well as my lockdown list. Unfortunately I can only go as far as a Sweat Bee, as there are several similar looking sphecodes species.

No new birds to add to my Garden Lockdown List, and what a shame I wasn't able to pop down to the Bill today, when a Woodchat Shrike put in an appearance. Nice photo of it on Twitter Here and a quite extraordinary one Here. They often pass through Portland, so hopefully when this Pandemic is over, I might get an opportunity to see one in years to come.

So back to the garden and I had a lovely sight today of one of the Palmate Newts feeding in the pond. Every now and then it would take a break from catching its prey and come up to the surface for air.

Still plenty of bees about, especially the two species of mining bees that live in the lawn. However with the Cherry Blossom going over, there appears to be fewer Buff-tailed Bumblebees on there. I just caught a glimpse of a Lathbury's Nomad Bee, with the most numerous of nomad bees being Painted Nomad Bees.

Also noted were a Large White, 1 Red Admiral and a Leucophora sp. fly. The latter seek out Andrena bee nests to lay their eggs. The garden is full of mining bees, so stands to reason that this fly is here.

Here are a few photos and videos from today:

A Goldfinch on the edge of the pond. This is only the second time I have seen birds drinking from the pond. The first was a Chiffchaff sometime back.

And a busy Palmate Newt

It's been awhile since I have sat down and watched newts in a pond. Normally they are deep down and all you get to see is a quick wriggle up to the surface for air and then they disappear like lightening back down to bottom.

A couple of videos of the Palmate Newt...............

................feeding in amongst the pond weed.


An Ashy Mining Bee on the Cherry Tree


Resting up on a Buddleia leaf a Red Mason Bee


A little stunner this one, a male Blue Mason Bee.


These Painted Nomad Bees are continually flying up and down the lawn. Occasionally they stop


........................to check out the nests of other bees


This is one of the species of Sweat Bees, sphecodes.


 Unfortunately there are several similar looking species..................


.............so locking it down to a particular one isn't goin to happen.


This is a Leucophora sp. fly which seeks out mining bee nests to lay its eggs in. More on this fly Here.


And of course Ted who has just spotted a Bumblebee in the grass.

NOTE

See my Lockdown Garden List Here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today's Sightings Here.