2 Apr 20

Lower Horse Paddock, Bumpers Lane Quarry, The Cuttings, Penns Copse, Penns Weare, Church Ope Cove, At Andrew's Church and Penns Wood

I was out a bit earlier for my daily exercise today. Well I say daily, I've been going every other day which seems to be working well. So tomorrow its back in the garden and so on. Unless of course we get a deluge of migrants and that might all change.

Today there were slightly more migrants about and I had a Chiffchaff singing in Bumpers Lane Quarry, a Willow Warbler singing by the Cuttings where there was also a male Blackcap, 2 more Chiffchaffs in Penn's Weare and another Chiff at the back of the cove. Still no hirundines though.

Also moving through were small flocks of Meadow Pipits and Linnets. There were also a few Pied Wagtails about, plus a Grey Wagtail and a Rock Pipit on the cove beach.

The pair of Stock Doves were in Bumpers Lane Quarry again.

The nests of the Long-tailed Tits and Goldfinches are doing well at the cove. All watched from a good distance.

In the grounds of St Andrew's Church there were 2 Commas and 2 "white" butterflies - female Orange-tips maybe!! Whilst on the south-facing slopes at the cove there was a Peacock and another Comma.

It looked like I was a bit too early for Wall Lizards and hoverflies, though I did see one Tapered Dronefly.

Only other invertebrate seen was a Blood-nosed Beetle on Penns Weare.

Here are a few images and videos from today:

For me Spring doesn't start until I've heard a Willow Warbler. Just a shame that my first one singing this Spring was so brief.

A deserted Church Ope Cove

In the background Pennsylvania Castle and the path (where the post is) leading up to the remains of St Andrew's Church

Of the 3 Commas flitting about this morning this was scraggiest one I found. Not that I was looking to photograph a scraggy one, just that the other two wouldn't settle for a photo.

Any guesses as to what this Bumblebee is called. It is of course a Red-tailed Bumblebee.

I know I've said it many times before but............

.........I just love these Bloody-nosed Beetles.

The Wall Flowers out and safe from anyone wanting to...............

..............pick them!!

Here is Ted, just about to jump up on to the rocky ledge. For once he had a change of heart and decided otherwise. Sensible dog.

I can just hear Ted thinking "Come on this is an exercise not an excuse to take photos of me"

Birds Recorded: 1 Cormorant, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Buzzard, 1 Kestrel, Pheasant, Herring Gull, Stock Dove, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Meadow Pipit, 1 Rock Pipit, Pied Wagtail, 1 Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, 1 Blackcap, 4 Chiffchaff, 1 Willow Warbler, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Linnet and Goldfinch

Butterflies Recorded: 1 Peacock, 3 Comma and 2 "white" butterflies.

Bees Recorded: Honey Bees (Apis mellifera), 1 Red-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lapidarius) and Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris)

Hoverflies Recorded: Tapered Dronefly (Eristalis pertinax)

Bugs and Beetles Recorded: 1 Bloody-nosed Beetle (Timarcha tenebricosa)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wakeham

My garden list is ever growing with the addition of a Song Thrush and Great Spotted Woodpecker early this morning, bringing my total to 32 since 24 Mar. The Great Spotted Woodpecker is the first I have seen on Portland since 5 Jan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ships Today

This is the Dutch Cargo Ship "Lady Carina" on its way from Emden (Denmark) to Fowey. More on this vessel Here.

Sadly I can't identify this warship.

It isn't particularly large, maybe a Minesweeper. It is just passing small fishing boat just off Portland.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today's Sightings Here.