27 Apr 20

Wakeham

No new Garden Lockdown Birds, but I did have a Willow Warbler first thing this morning and then this afternoon a small flock of Sand Martins passed through.

It was a lovely afternoon for sitting in the garden and several butterflies were seen with at least 4 Large Whites and 4 Orange-tips (1 female and 4 males).

A new bee today a Common Mourning Bee (Melecta albifrons), not just for my lockdown list but on Portland. At this rate I will have seen more bees in my garden than bird species. The Bee list now stands at 16.

My first Garden lockdown wasp ventured into the garden, but not long enough to tell whether it was a Common (Vespula vulgaris) or a German (Vespula germanica). A very small Ichneumon Wasp landed on the Valerian, but yet another one which I dont think will be identifiable.

And a Moth Fly (Tonnoiriella pulchra) was in the garden again.

There are always spiders running around the garden and today I came across one that was running over the pond weed and is most likely to be the Wolf Spider (Pardosa amentata). This species favours damp and wet habitat.

And bee species number 15. This time a.............

Common Mourning Bee (Melecta albifrons). Rubbish photos, but a new one for my Portland List as well.

An Ashy Mining Bee

Unfortunately this andrena bee is carrying so much pollen, it cannot be identified.

And a Sweat Bee, which can only be identified as a sphecodes sp.

Sadly this Ichneumon Wasp will just remain an Ichneumon sp.

At least I know what this is, a Dead Head Hoverfly (Myathropa florea)

And I know this one. A Pajupuuhari (Chalcosyrphus nemorum)

I hadn't realised this was a Narcissus Bulb Fly (Merodon equestris). There are so many variants, it makes it pretty hard to pin it down to a particular form. The one I had on 23 Apr Here was a M. equestris form bulborum. This one above with a totally black abdomen, doesn't match any of the forms I have seen before or even found on the web.

And one of many of these "dark" coloured spiders around the pond. And most likely, because of the damp habitat, the Wolf Spiders, Pardosa amentata
And Ted of course.

NOTE

My Lockdown Garden List is Here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On this day..........
2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today's Sightings Here.