1 Jun 19

Penns Wood, St Andrew's Church, Church Ope Cove, Penns Copse, Rufus Castle, The Cuttings Quarry and Mermaid Track

A scorcher today and my first walk down to the cove for over a week. The male Blackcap is still singing away at the back of the cove and there was also a Chiffchaff in the trees along the Mermaid Track.

Not as many butterflies out as I had expected and the best I could do were 2 Dingy Skippers in The Cuttings Quarry, a Common Blue in the grounds of St Andrews Church and another along the Mermaid Track where there was also a Speckled Wood. There was a male Orange-tip and another Speckled Wood in Penns Copse, and I came across several Large Whites along my walk,.

A few Lizards scurrying around in the undergrowth along Penns Weare, but none seen.

At two locations today I came across Rose Chafers, with one by Rufus Castle and another just before the Mermaid Track.

Strangely I didn't see any hoverflies but I did come across a Potter Wasp as I was walking up the steps to Rufus Castle.

Here are a few images from this morning:

A very dense looking Penns Wood.

At the top of the wood are several Giant Viper's Bugloss in flower........

.........whilst this Giant Viper's Bugloss is still in its first year.

The grounds of St Andrew's Church

In the church grounds a Common Blue..............

...........on a Red Valerian

This is Lambs Lettuce, Valerianella locusta...........

.........it also goes by the name of  Corn Salad

Rufus Castle

As I was making my way up the steps to Rufus Castle I came across this Potter Wasp. Fearing I would miss the opportunity to ID it, I took a very quick and unsharp photo. Here the image has been enhanced so that the pattern on the back can at least be seen. Here is a guide to Ancistrocerus wasps Here. Just got to pick one now!!

I think I was right in taking a quick photo before it flew off onto this plant here and then seconds later.......

...........it was off again. Here it is just about to take off.

A very large Rose Chafer. This one was by the castle and I found another about 20 metres further up the track.

In the Cuttings Quarry one of the 2 Dingy Skippers here.

And last week a protective wall was put around this Bee-orchid. Well I'm pleased to say its done its job and is out in bloom.

Birds Recorded: Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Swallow, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, 1 Blackcap, 1 Chiffchaff, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, House Sparrow, Chaffinch and Goldfinch.

Reptiles Recorded: Lizards!

Butterflies Recorded
: 2 Common Blue, 2 Dingy Skippers, 2 Speckled Wood, 1 Orange-tip and 7+ Large White

Bees Recorded: Honey Bees

Wasps Recorded: Potter Wasp (Ancistrocerus sp.)

Hoverflies Recorded: 1

Bugs and Beetles Recorded: 2 Rose Chafer (Cetonia aurata)

Caterpillars Recorded: Brown-tail Moth

Ships Today

This is the Liberian Tanker "Navigator Triton" on its way from Antwerp to an unknown destination. More on this vessel Here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2018
Today's Sightings Here.

2017
Today's Sightings Here.