15 Nov 17

Broadcroft Quarry Lane, Broadcroft Quarry Butterfly Reserve, The Cuttings, Penn's Weare, Rufus Castle, Church Ope Cove, Pennsylvania Castle Woods and Perryfield Quarry Butterfly Reserve

Well my walk started well with a pair of Stonechats in the horse field to the north of Bumpers Lane and ended on a high as well with 12 Greenfinches in Perryfield Quarry Butterfly Reserve Here. Greenfinches are a "rare" sight nowadays ever since they were struck down by the protozoan parasite Trichomonas gallinae in 2006. So to see 12 together was an encouraging sight.. More on Trichomonosis here.

Having spotted the Stonechats in the horse field I decided to walk into the field and then up through Broadcroft Quarry Butterfly Reserve. Here there were a several Long-tailed Tits, with 2 Goldcrests, Great Tits, Blue Tits and a Chiffchaff. Overhead 8 Meadow Pipits passed over.

Having crossed over Broadcroft Quarry Lane into the other half of the reserve I came across another small party of Long-tailed Tits and 1 Goldcrest. From here I walked down Broadcroft Quarry Lane and came across a third party of Long-tailed Tits, with another Chiffchaff and a lone Firecrest.

The pools were my next destination, but these were quiet so it was off down to The Cuttings and along towards Rufus Castle. Nothing of note at these spots so I headed down onto the beach at Church Ope Cove using a new track I found the other day which takes you down from the top of Penn's Weare through a small cutting onto the beach. A bit dicey in places with the slippery mud, but I made it down okay. At the bottom I was greeted by 3 irate Wrens and a Dunnock. Not sure why they found me and Ted a threat, but after a couple of photos I left them in peace. Really odd!!

On the rocks at Church Ope Cove a pair of Cormorants were drying their wings out and made for a decent photo against the afternoon sun over the water. From the back of the Cove I could hear a party of Long-tailed Tits and went to investigate. It was quite an impressive party of around a dozen birds which also included both Great & Blue Tits, 3 Goldcrests and 2 Firecrests. I even managed a couple of half-decent photos of the latter. It makes a change, as most are like the one I shot along Broadcroft Quarry Lane, in the middle of a bush.

The flock moved headed off south, so I made my way up to Pennsylvania Castle Woods, where there were 2 Goldcrests and another Firecrest. I also came across a Grey Squirrel, the first I've seen here for quite awhile.

Moving on to Perryfield Quarry Butterfly Reserve I came across my 5th party of Long-tailed Tits, which had 1 Chiffchaff, 3 Goldcrests and both Great & Blue Tits in tow. It was also here that there were 12 Greenfinches sat in the tree tops. A great sight to see.

Here are a few images from today:

The male Stonechat with is mate......

.........here in the Horse Field just off Bumpers Lane.

This was my best effort of a Firecrest in Broadcroft Quarry Lane. Fortunately I managed better shots of two in Church Ope Cove.
Church Ope Cove and my shortcut to the beach from Penn's Weare. Ted's checking it out first.

This is Wren number 1........
 
......and number 2

And number 3. Why they took an interest in me and Ted I will never know.

Even this Dunnock took an interest in us.

And when he realised we weren't a threat, struck a nice pose. 

Silhouetted against the sun two Cormorants on the rocks.

The back of the cove and a fantastic area for Firecrests with two seen here this afternoon.

This is probably as close as you get.

Nice side profile. Seconds later he was gone.

This is another one in the same area. 

In Pennsylvania Wood a Grey Squirrel keeps an eye on me.

Just 2 of the 12 Greenfinches across the road from the cottage in Perryfield Quarry Butterfly Reserve.

This is the Victoria C a British Cargo ship on its way to Southampton from Foynes, County Limerick. More on this ship Here
This is Schelde Highway a Vehicles Carrier, flying the flag of Panama. It's on its way to Zeebrugge from Dublin. More on this vessel Here
RFA Tidespring just off the Portland. More on this tanker Here

Birds recorded were: 3 Cormorant, 2 Sparrowhawks, 2 Kestrels, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 11 Meadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, 1 Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, 2 Stonechat, Blackbird, 2 Song Thrush, 3 Chiffchaff, 9 Goldcrest, 4 Firecrest, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch and 12 Greenfinch.

Butterflies recorded were 3 Red Admirals.