10 Nov 17

Broadcroft Quarry Lane, The Cuttings, Penn's Weare, Rufus Castle, Church Ope Cove, Pennsylvania Castle Woods and Perryfield Quarry Butterfly Reserve

A bit of a Firecrest fest today with 6 recorded at 3 different sites. I started off along Broadcroft Quarry Lane and immediately had two Firecrests with a very mobile flock of Long-tailed Tits. Also here a lone Chiffchaff.

My next destination was The Cuttings, but unlike yesterday it was pretty void of birds, so I made my way along to Rufus Castle. I was good 100 metres away from the castle when I came across a large party of 16 Long-tailed Tits, 5 Great Tits, 4 Blue Tits and at least 5 Goldcrests. And then 2 Firecrests joined them.

I left them as they disappeared down into Penn's Weare and made my way onto the beach at Church Ope Cove. It was pretty quiet here as well, other than 4 Sea Anglers who weren't doing to well either.

So it was up to Pennsylvania wood via St Andrews Church and I struck Gold again or should that be Fire, with 2 more Firecrests in amongst a few Long-tailed Tits, Great Tits and Blue Tits. Also  here a Grey Wagtail which flew west.

Here are a few images from today:

A Long-tailed Tit in Broadcroft Quarry lane where there were also 2 Firecrests and just 1 Chiffchaff.

Along Penn's Weare several Robins.

Also plenty of Goldcrests about especially around the slopes of Rufus Castle.....

...with this one sporting a metal ring on its right leg.

Here it is in flight. Also here were two more Firecrests along with 16 Long-tailed Tits, 5 Great Tits, 4 Blue Tits and at least 5 Goldcrests.

Looking down onto Church Ope Cove from St Andrews Church

In Pennsylvania wood there were 2 more Firecrests.

This one was a skulky bird.....

....while this one gave me a cracking shot. I'm getting there!!

It's that time of year when some Robins hide away, while others like this one strike a good pose.

In Perryfields Quarry Butterfly Reserve I came across this Common Drone Fly.

Birds Recorded were: 2 Cormorant, 6 Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, 1 Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, 1 Chiffchaff, 7 Goldcrest, 6 Firecrest, 20 Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch and Goldfinch.

Butterflies recorded: 5 Red Admirals.