26 Oct 17

Quarry Lane Pool, The Cuttings, Rufus Castle, Pennsylvania Woods, Quarry Lane Pool,  and Bumpers Lane.

A bit of a round Robin this morning, in the hope that if I missed something the first time round I might see something I'd missed the second time round. So to start with I was up at 7:00am and off up to the Quarry Lane Pool in the hope of catching another glimpse of the Radde's Warbler I saw there yesterday evening, if it was still there. As I walked up Quarry Lane I met a chap from Southampton who was hoping to catch up with it as well. Boy was he pleased to see me when he realised that I was off to see it. He hadn't a clue where it was so he was very grateful to be shown the location.

Dennis and I climbed up the bank and stood by the reed bed; within a couple of minutes we heard it call, but it was a further 30 minutes before we both saw it. Having heard it at 7:53 and nothing for 20 minutes after, Dennis and I split up to see if we could track it down. After 10 minutes or so we met up again at the same spot where we had heard it earlier and lo and behold it came out from the reeds and up and over the gorse bush, exactly like it did yesterday evening. Not the best of views but I know Dennis was absolutely chuffed in seeing his first ever Radde's Warbler.

We waited for a little while longer, but I think this was the last time anyone saw it. I went back 2 hours later with lots of birders there, but it did look like it had moved on.

Also here again a very vocal Water Rail and some new arrivals with a couple Stonechats. Talking about new arrivals, there were flocks after flocks of Redwings passing overhead with several groups of 20 birds plus all heading south. They weren't alone as other species heading in the same direction were Meadow Pipits, lots of Siskins and Redpolls, Linnets, Chaffinches and also around 20 Swallows. It was like the flood gates had opened.

From the pool area I dropped down to The Cuttings where there were a pair of Ring Ouzels working their way along Penn's Weare towards Church Ope Cove.


A Ring Ouzel calling fro Penn's Weare and then the briefest of views as it flew right. And I mean brief!!

Down the steps from Rufus Castle to Church Ope Cove there were 10 Goldcrests, 4 Chiffchaffs and 5 male Blackcaps in the Sycamores half way down.

Here are a few images from this morning:

A pair of Stonechats above the cliffs of Penn's Weare

A female Stonechat

One of many Goldcrests down the Church Ope steps.

A Kestrel in Penn's Weare.

A "grey-coloured" slug!

A Marmalade hoverfly

The steps down from Rufus Castle to Church Ope Cove. The Sycamores on the left were alive with Goldcrests, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs.

The grounds of St Andrews Church above Church Ope Cove

Pennsylvania Wood

A Goldfinch in my Cherry Tree when I got home

Birds Recorded: 1 Cormorant, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Kestrel, Water Rail, Herring Gull, 1 Great Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, 5 Skylark, 20+ Swallow, 5 Meadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, 20+ Robin, 7 Stonechat, 20+ Blackbird, 2 Ring Ouzel, 100+ Redwing, 10+ Song Thrush, 8 Blackcap, 8 Chiffchaff, 1 Radde's Warbler, 15+ Goldcrest, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 2 Raven, 50+ Starling, House Sparrow, 30+ Chaffinch, 15+ Lesser Redpoll, Linnet, 15+ Siskin, and Goldfinch.

Also recorded a Marmalade Hoverfly and a couple of "grey-coloured" Slugs.