14 Mar 23

Bumpers Lane, The Cuttings, Shepherd's Dinner and Grove Cliffs

Well what an eventful walk Ted and I had today. The idea was to walk north along the coast path above the weare's and then drop down to East Weares from the Young Offenders Institute. The first part went well and having descended down Grove Cliffs, we headed south along the old railway track towards Penn's Weare.

As I stopped to count the breeding pairs of Fulmars on the ledges of Grove Cliffs, a Peregrine Falcon started calling from a ledge a bit further down the railway track. It was pretty loud and as I tried to find it, I caught Ted, in the corner of my eye, running back up the track.

Assuming he'd seen a bunny I didn't pay much attention and carried on looking for the Peregrine. Having located it, I carried on south and called Ted to catch me up. That was when I realised something wasn't right. I kept calling his name and whistling for him to join me, but there was no sign of him.

There were a number of people walking up the old railway track towards me, but none of them had seen him, so imagine my surprise when I met two joggers who told me they had seen Ted at the top of the cliffs.

I have absolutely no idea why Ted ran off, was it because of the Peregrine calling, but he literally ran all the way back home and ended up barking outside the front of the cottage. Fortunately I was able to ring one of my neighbours and he kindly opened my front door to let Ted in.

Twenty minutes later I got home to see Ted crashed out on the sofa.

Ted's 1.4 mile journey home!!

Birds Recorded:
Fulmar
Peregrine Falcon
3 Oystercatcher
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Wood Pigeon
Dunnock
Robin
4 Stonechat
Blackbird
1 Chiffchaff
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Wren
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Chaffinch
Goldfinch

A couple of Fulmars sat on the ledges of Grove Cliffs

An Oystercatcher flying across a very choppy Balaclava Bay

Two male Stonechats and.........

........... two.........

............females in Shepherd's Dinner.


Bees Recorded:
Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris)
2 Chocolate Mining Bee (Andrena scotica)

My first Chocolate Mining Bee of the year


Plants:
Common Dog-violet (Viola riviniana)

My first Common Dog-violets this year


General Shots:

Blue sky and blue sea. Not a bad day at all.

Ted:

Ted looking down into Broadcroft Quarry. A quarry that will apparently be turned into a wildlife site in a few years time.

Ships Today:

This is the Panamanian Vehicles Carrier "Weser Highway" on its way from Zeebrugge to Dublin. More on this vessel Here.

This is the Maltese Oil/Chemical Tanker "Pyxis Theta" on its way from Ijmuiden to Tuxpan (Mexico). More on this vessel Here.

This is the Liberian Oil/Chemical Tanker "Green Planet" anchored up in Weymouth Bay. More on this vessel Here.