6 Aug 21

Fancy's Farm to the Grove and back

Having been to the recycling centre late morning, I thought I would have a walk from Fancy's Farm down to The Grove and back, as I was in the area.

I also thought it would be sheltered from the gale force winds whipping across the island from the south-west. How wrong I was and with gusts over 30mph, I was amazed I found anything of note.

Birds Recorded:
Herring Gull
Wood Pigeon
2 Swift
4 House Martin
Dunnock
1 Chiffchaff
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Chaffinch
Goldfinch

These Herring Gulls were taking shelter in one of the fields at Fancy's Farm


Dragonflies and Damselflies Recorded:
3 hawker sp.

Well I watched 3 of these hawkers buzzing around my head and over the trees and bushes. But I couldn't tell you which species they were.


Butterflies Recorded:
1 Large White
1 Meadow Brown
4 Gatekeeper
2 Red Admiral
4 Painted Lady
1 Common Blue
1 Chalk Hill Blue

It was that windy I was amazed I found any butterflies to be honest. Here is a rather worn Gatekeeper.

I came across 2 Red Admirals on the track and......

.........also 4 Painted Lady's.


Moths Recorded
:
1 Jersey Tiger (Euplagia quadripunctaria)
1 Six-Spot Burnet moth (Zygaena filipendulae)

Jersey Tiger (Euplagia quadripunctaria)


Bees Recorded:
Honey Bees (Apis mellifera)
Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris)
Red-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lapidarius)


Hoverflies Recorded:
Marmalade Hoverfly (Episyrphus balteatus)
Long Hoverfly (Sphaerophoria scripta)


Plants:
Cuckoo-pint (Arum maculatum)

This is Cuckoo-pint and also goes by the names of Lords and Ladies, Devils and Angels, Adam and Eve, Snakes Head and Wake-Robin. The plant contains a bitter, sometimes poisonous, sap and the red berries are particularly toxic. So a plant best left alone.


General Shots:

From Fancy's Farm I walked south as far as the Old Engine Shed at the Grove

Here is the information board about the "Shed" and there is also more info Here.


Ted:

8 images of Ted split into two photos of him running past me.

I still cant get more than 4 in a row. Or in this photo 3 and a tail.


Ships Today

This is the Bermudan Passenger Ship "Ventura" anchored up in Weymouth Bay. More on this vessel Here.

This is the Singaporean Tanker "Thalea Schulte" anchored up in Weymouth Bay. More on this vessel Here.

This is the Cargo Ship "RMS Twisteden" flying the flag of Antigua Barbuda. It is currently anchored up in Weymouth Bay. More on this vessel Here.

This is the Liberian Tanker "Fredericia" anchored up in Weymouth Bay. More on this vessel Here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2020
Today's Sightings Here

2019
Today's Sightings Here

2018
Today's Sightings Here.

2017
Today' Sightings Here.