5 Feb 20

Lodmoor RSPB Reserve

I spent a couple of hours at Lodmoor this afternoon, in the hope of seeing/hearing the Penduline Tit that has been around for a week or so. I say Tit, as when I arrived it was apparent that birders were talking about 2 birds here and possibly another at neighbouring Radipole. Anyhow I didn't see or hear any of them, so I guess it didn't really matter how many there were.

I did however come across 3 Chiffchaffs and also watched 2 Spoonbills coming into land at close to the west Scrape.

The most numerous bird here today had to go to the Lapwings. I reckon there were probably in the region 500 birds, maybe more. I'm not quite sure why it kept happening, but ever so often they would all rise up from the ground, do a couple of laps around the reserve and then come back down to earth. Maybe they just like flying.

All around the reserve I came across small parties of Bearded Tits, and there are certainly more Reed Buntings about, especially a a few singing males. Still no sign of any Black-tailed Godwits, and it appears there are fewer Snipe.

The Water Rail are very vocal with their pig-like squeals and I did manage to see one bird flying across open water to get to another reed bed where it immediately started calling.

Another vocal bird which I think could have been a Little Grebe was at the north end of the reserve by the new bridge. Recording below.

Here are a few images from today:

Lodmoor RSPB Reserve which sits in the Lorton Valley Nature Park.

Two Spoonbills come into land.

Not quite synchronised but not far off.

A short clip of the Spoonbills.

I dont think I've ever seen so many Lapwings here before. They were constantly taking off and........

................then landing again.

They are sunning birds when you see them close-up.

A rare sight but I managed to see a Water Rail today. In most cases though you hear them, like this very vocal bird.

And it wasn't just the Water Rail calling, but what I can only assume is a Little Grebe singing.

And the Black Swan is still entertaining the visitors at Lodmoor.

And finally no walk would be complete without Ted having a buzz up and down the path. So much energy.

Birds Recorded: 1/2 Little Grebe, Cormorant, Little Egret, Grey Heron, 2 Spoonbill, Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Shelduck, Mallard, Gadwall, Teal, Shoveler, Tufted Duck, 1 Marsh Harrier, Water Rail, Moorhen, Coot, Oystercatcher, 500+ Lapwing, Snipe, Black-headed Gull, 9 Mediterranean Gull, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Cetti's Warbler, 3 Chiffchaff, Bearded Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Reed Bunting

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today's Sightings Here.