18 Feb 20

Portland Bird Observatory, Hut Fields and The Bill

Today I made another trip down to the Bill to see the Purple Sandpipers. Unfortunately and despite it being low water, the gale force winds had whipped up the waves and they were still crashing onto their favoured ledges. So plan B was to walk along the more sheltered eastern side, just in case they had moved around there. Even here the waves were rolling in, and after an extensive search, all I could find were 6 Turnstones, 1 Oystercatcher and a Rock Pipit.

Originally when I arrived at the Obs, Martin Cade (Obs Warden) kindly pointed out the Common Scoter to me, which were just north of the Races and to the east of the Lobster Pot. Without his expertise I dont really think I would have spotted them. My count was 9 in a small tight flock sat on the water, though I'm sure there are probably more. Whilst I was here a Grey Wagtail flew over and just as was leaving, a Firecrest was in the Japonica along the driveway

Here are a few images and a video from today:

The Rock Pool and ledge which was the only spot I found along the coastline at The Bill that had any birds on it. They were...........

...........these 5 Turnstones. Honest there are 5. They are so well camouflaged; the hardest one to see is at the very top of of the image.

A close-up of 3 of the Turnstones. If it weren't for their orange legs I think it would be hard to spot them.

Here the Turnstones and a Rock Pipit join each other higher up on the ledge.

A little easier to spot was this Oystercatcher on the same ledge.

One of the reasons why there weren't any Purple Sandpipers here today.

And Ted enjoying a good run on the Common.

Birds Recorded: Fulmar, Gannet, Cormorant, Shag, 9 Common Scoter, Kestrel, 1 Oystercatcher, 6 Turnstone, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Razorbill, Guillemot, Wood Pigeon, Meadow Pipit, Rock Pipit, 1 Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, Blackbird, 1 Firecrest, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch and Goldfinch

Ships Today

This is the Liberian Tanker "Fredericia" on its way from Falmouth to Portland. More on this vessel Here.

It wasn't until I was editing the image of "Fredericia" that I realised there was another ship behind it, the Italian Tanker "Smeraldo" on its way from Le Havre (France) to Barcelona (Spain) More on this vessel Here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today's Sightings Here.