21 Dec 17

Pennsylvania Castle wood and Church Ope Cove

Is it the mild weather of 11°C, I don't know, but the distinct lack of birds on the island today was very apparent. Well certainly in and around Pennsylvania Castle wood and Church Ope Cove. But on the sea well that was a different story!!

My first stop was Penn's Wood and the best I could do here was 1 Goldcrest, 4 male Great Tits, 1 Blue Tit, 1 Robin, a Wren, a Song Thrush and a Grey Wagtail presumably the one from Church Ope Cove. But for a brief second or two, there were a few Long-tailed Tits calling in the distance, but for the next 90 minutes or so, try as I could, I couldn't find the Yellow-browed Warbler let alone a single Long-tailed Tit. I'm sure if you find the Long-tailed Tits you'll find the crests and Yellow-browed Warbler.

So having failed to locate the Yellow-browed Warbler or even a Firecrest, it was off down to Church Ope Cove. My word talk about dead apart from 1 Herring Gull, 4 Wrens, 1 Rock Pipit and just the male Pied Wagtail. On my past visits I have recorded up to 21 Rock Pipits, 10+ Wrens, the pair of Pied Wagtails, a Grey Wagtail and the "Rock" Robin, plus the Black Redstart.

Could the slight breeze coming up the beach been instrumental in the lack of flies and in turn forced the birds to look elsewhere. I've no idea, but it was very, very quiet.

Behind the huts was no better, though at least one of the Robins is still here and I managed a quick glimpse and record shot of a Firecrest. The only other "resident" here was the White-tailed Bumblebee still feeding on the Hebe.

All the action today appeared to be on the sea, especially around the "Races" off the Bill, where there were dozens of gulls and Gannets in a feeding frenzy. On the fringes were several Razorbills heading into Weymouth Bay.

Here are a few images from today:

Adult winter Herring Gull

One of the 4 Wrens on the beach today.

At least I managed a Firecrest on what was a very quiet day here on Portland.

The "resident" White-tailed Bumblebee was very active around the Hebe. As far as I can tell it is the only one here at the back of the beach. It was only when I was checking the images out when I got home that I noticed a fly sp. on the leaf behind the bee.
All the action was at sea with dozens of gulls and Gannets above the Races just off the Bill.

Here a juvenile Gannet breaks away from the main group. In the background top left is the fishing boat "Royal Escape" No images of this boat but more info Here. It's certainly a busy fishing boat, as its past track shows Here.
Birds Recorded were: 10+ Gannet, Shag, Cormorant, 3 Oystercatcher, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Razorbill, Wood Pigeon, 1 Rock Pipit, 1 Pied Wagtail, 1 Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, 1 Song Thrush, 1 Goldcrest, 1 Firecrest, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch and Goldfinch.

Also recorded: 1 White-tailed Bumblebee