8 Jun 23

RSPB Radipole Lake

After a shopping trip into Weymouth, I had a walk with Ted to the North Hide. On the way to the hide I met a few people on their way back, who told me they had had some fantastic views of a Hobby catching dragonflies over the reedbeds. But as per usual, there was no sign of it or any others when I got there.

However there were lots of other things to see, especially the many species of dragon/damsel flies noted, including my first ever Norfolk Chaser and Black-tailed Skimmer, plus a new hoverfly for my list, a Mini-tiger Hoverfly (Parhelophilus frutetorum)

Mammals Recorded:
1 Roe Deer

A Roe Deer out in the open just south of the hide.


Birds Recorded:
2 Mute Swan
1 Mallard
1 Marsh Harrier
2 Coot
Herring Gull
1 Common Tern
Wood Pigeon
10+ Swift
50+ Sand Martin
5 Reed Warbler
3 Cetti's Warbler
1 Blackcap
3 Chiffchaff
Great Tit
Wren
Chaffinch

These two Mute Swans were.......

............on the pool to the south of the hide.

These Sand Martins were collecting nesting material from in front of the hide and then.........

...............flying back to the colony.

A Reed Warbler singing just a few metres away from where I was standing


Dragonflies and Damselflies Recorded
:
Broad-bodied Chaser
Norfolk Hawker
Black Skimmer!! (possibly)
Blue-tailed Damselfly
Azure Damselfly
Banded Demoiselle

A male Broad-bodied Chaser

I'm actually not sure what this chaser is. It might possibly be a newly emerged Broad-bodied Chaser

My first ever Norfolk Hawker and a.......

...........mating pair.

A newly emerged Black-tailed Skimmer

A male Blue-tailed Damselfly

And an immature male Blue-tailed Damselfly

A male Azure Damselfly

A male Banded Demoiselle

And another male.

This though is a female Banded Demoiselle


Butterflies Recorded
:
1 Large White
2 Speckled Wood
2 Red Admiral
2 Holly Blue

A Red Admiral

And a Holly Blue


Bees Recorded
:
Honey Bees (Apis mellifera)
Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris)
bees sp.

Two bees sp.


Sawflies Recorded:
Reed Stem Borer (Calameuta filiformis)
sawfly sp.

Two Reed Stem Borers (Calameuta filiformis)

The one and only time I've come across these before was in Jun 2019, when I found a dead one in my moth trap.

A sawfly sp.


Hoverflies Recorded
:
Mini-tiger Hoverfly (Parhelophilus frutetorum)
hoverfly sp.

Mini-tiger Hoverfly (Parhelophilus frutetorum)

hoverfly sp.


Flies, Craneflies, Gnats and Midges Recorded
:
fly sp.

When I initially saw this fly, I thought it had a green abdomen....

..........turns out it was a green stem behind it. I'm still non the wiser as to what species it is.


Bugs and Beetles Recorded
:
Common Red Soldier Beetle (Rhagonycha fulva)
Swollen-thighed Beetle (Oedemera nobilis)

My first Common Red Soldier Beetle of the year and a rubbish photo of it. I'm sure there will be plenty more.

Swollen-thighed Beetle (Oedemera nobilis)


Ted
:

I'm coming Ted!!