3 Apr 18

Penn's Weare, Rufus Castle, St Andrew's Church and Pennsylvania Castle Wood

A very late afternoon walk and I really wasn't expecting to see anything of note, but I was very wrong as I came across 6 Chiffchaffs and a Blackcap in the grounds of St Andrew's Church and Pennsylvania Castle Wood. The male Blackcap disappeared very quickly as I came into the grounds, but the Chiffchaffs seemed to be oblivious to my presence and were busy feeding on insects around me. There was an amazing contrast in colours 4 birds had a darkish foreheads, 1 bird was uniformly dark and a 6th bird was very light and green.

As I passed through the archway I noticed a bird land behind me and as I turned there was a Robin with nesting material.

Here are a few images:

There is a Chiffchaff in there, in fact there were 6. The only one showing in this photo is centre left.

Here's another.........

.....and another...........

..........and another. I've not noticed it before but there were at least 4 birds with a distinct black forehead.

I just caught this Robin in the corner of my eye as it landed on a log with a beak-full of leaves.

Even Great Black-backed Gulls fall out!!

And some Primroses out in flower.

Birds Recorded: 1 Gannet, Herring Gull, 2 Great Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 2 Meadow Pipit, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, 1 male Blackcap, 6 Chiffchaff, 2 Goldcrest, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch and Goldfinch.