12 Apr 18

Crown Estate Fields, Culverwell, Hut Fields and Obs Quarry.

Another beautiful start to the day and it was up early (well early for me) and it was down to the Portland Bird Observatory for 8:10am. As I walked around to the patio area I spotted to flocks of Common Scoter heading north over the sea, there were two parties of 9 and 5. A good start.

My first stop on my walk was the horse field here, where there was a splendid looking male Ring Ouzel. A bird flew past it as I was watching it and my first thought was that it was hen Pheasant because of the colouration. And then I thought hang on its way to small, a quick adjustment with the binoculars and I was looking at my first Mistle Thrush on the island since moving down here at the end of May last year. By all accounts Mistle Thrush are quite scarce on the island so well chuffed I've finally bagged one.

Also in the brambles here were 1 male and 2 female Stonechats, whilst flying through were Skylarks and Meadow Pipits.

I made my way up the track and alongside Helen's Field, before heading south towards Culverwell. Just about here were a dozen or so Fieldfare, Redwing and Blackbirds feeding in the field. In the bushes I also managed my first Willow Warbler of the year. In Culverwell there were several Chiffchaffs flitting about and 3 Greenfinches.

From here I headed off to the Obs quarry, where there were at least 5 Chiffchaff. From here I then took a walk through the hut fields before heading back to the Obs. Still more Chiffchaffs about and also a pair of Black Redstarts. There was one possible 2 Bullfinches in the Blackthorn bushes and I managed some good views of 2 more Willow Warblers, one of which was really yellow. Sadly not a Wood Warbler, though one was seen a few days ago at Lodmoor wood.

Back at the Obs and a few small parties of hirundine passed over with several Swallows and 2 House Martins. Here there was a Willow Warbler singing in the garden and also another Greenfinch.

Here are few images from today including record shots of the Ring Ouzel and Mistle Thrush.

A record shot of the male Ring Ouzel in the horse field just west of the Crown Estate Fields.

Also my first Mistle Thrush here as well. A scarce visitor to the island.

Still a few Fieldfare about.

Another.

A pair maybe. Certainly a difference in colouration

And tagging along with the Fieldfare a few Redwings. This one perched in Culverwell.

A Chiffchaff

And a rear view of a Willow Warbler.

There were a pair of Black Redstarts in the Hut Fields. This is the female.

And here is a female Bullfinch tucking into a few buds.

A Goldfinch in the Obs garden with some nesting material.

And finally a Peacock butterfly with bee sp. behind.

Birds Recorded: 1 Gannet, 14 Common Scoter, 1 Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Kestrel, Pheasant, Oystercatcher, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Stock Dove, Wood Pigeon, Skylark, 2 House Martin, 7 Swallow, Meadow Pipit, Dunnock, Robin, 3 Stonechat, 2 Black Redstart, Blackbird, 1 Ring Ouzel, 5 Fieldfare, 7 Redwing, 1 Song Thrush, 1 Mistle Thrush, 15+ Chiffchaff, 3 Willow Warbler, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 1 Raven, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Linnet, Goldfinch, 4 Greenfinch and 2 Bullfinch.

Also 1 Peacock Butterfly