7 May 19

Thumb Lane

Morning

I was midway between Portland and Weymouth, and on my way to see if the Black-winged Stilt was still at Radipole from yesterday. And then I heard here that a male Golden Oriole was at Thumb Lane Here.

As I hadn't heard of any news about the Black-winged Stilt, I decided I would head back to Thumb Lane. Having parked up in Weston Street I headed down into the copse

As soon as I entered the copse I heard the Oriole very briefly before it flew off.
A few minutes later I met up with Nicola who first saw it and she played back a recording she had made of it singing. Apparently it had flown west towards Barleycrates, but had made a dog-leg somewhere and was south of Thumb Lane close to some horse paddocks.

Sadly I didn't get to see it, but here is a sound track of a male singing:


The copse at Thumb Lane where the male Golden Oriole was singing this morning.

Also in this area were 2 Common Whitethroats, a Chiffchaff, a Wall Brown and this Slow-worm


Afternoon

Another visit to Thumb Lane this afternoon, this time by foot taking in Wakeham Wood and the Windmills. Not much on route other than a few Common Whitethroats and Swallows.

At the copse in Thumb Lane I met a chap called Stan Bury who had managed to see and hear the Golden Oriole about 40 minutes I left this morning. Listening to the Bird Reports it appears Stan was the last person to see it as it flew east. I wish I'd checked Penns Wood now!!

Another view of the copse at Thumb Lane. Sadly no Golden Oriole this afternoon.

On top of the mound I was stood on a male Pheasant appeared.

In a tree close by a Song Thrush singing his heart out.

And hoards of these Brown-tail Moth caterpillars now on walkabouts.

Cut-leaved Cranesbill (Geranium dissectum)............

............found in waste and cultivated ground, roadsides and hedgebanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2018
Today's Sightings Here.