17 Apr 19

Reap Lane

This morning in the dense fog, I made a quick visit to Reap Lane as there had been a Grasshopper Warbler reeling there. Unfortunately I arrived 5 minutes to late but did get a male Common Redstart just behind the Barn and a Wheatear in the horse paddock to the south of the track.

King Barrow Quarry

A quarry I haven't visited before and with a report of a Grasshopper Warbler here, it was off to find it. And I didn't have to wait to long, as a one started reeling at 10:55am from this area Here. I had just the briefest of views before it disappeared into the brambles.

Also here 3 male Common Redstarts, 4 Common Whitethroat, 5 Blackcaps, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs, many Swallows and Sand Martins passing north overhead, plus a Yellow Wagtail.

King Barrow Quarry, where today in this..........

.......area there were 3 Blackcaps, a Grasshopper Warbler and........

........3 male Common Redstarts. Here is one of them down below in the quarry.

The local Kestrels were about as well and keeping the migrants well hidden in the bushes. There were 2 birds working the quarry and every now and then they would swoop down low over the bushes in the hope of flushing something out.

High Angle Battery

Another location I haven't visited before and I'm glad I did as I came across another Grasshopper Warbler at around 11:55am reeling in this area Here. Seems there were quite a few Groppers on the island, as the fog swirled around, but they certainly weren't hanging around.

Also 2 Blackcaps and a singing Willow Warbler. Also several Swallows heading north.

Another area I haven't been to before and as soon as I got out of the car and walked.......

..........to these bushes here, there was a Grasshopper Warbler reeling from.....

........one of the 2 May Trees in the centre of the frame here. Unfortunately the only bird to show itself here was a male Blackcap and then a female behind me.

I'm not 100% sure but I think this could be the Cream-spot Tiger (Arctia villica). One to check!!

A Cowslip, my first of the year. And another flower to add to my Portland Plant List Here.

Birds Recorded this morning: Kestrel, Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, Skylark, Sand Martin, Swallow, Meadow Pipit, 1 Yellow Wagtail, Dunnock, 4 Common Redstart, 1 Wheatear, Blackbird, 2 Grasshopper Warbler, 4 Common Whitethroat, 5 Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Linnet, Goldfinch and Greenfinch.

Also RecordedRed-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lapidarius), Ashy Mining Bee (Andrena cineraria) and a caterpillar possibly Cream-spot Tiger Moth.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2018
Today's Sightings Here.