11 Nov 18

A Day to Remember.

Not a day for bird watching as I travelled up to Salisbury for a very emotive day, as the British public remembered Armistice Day. My grandfather Lt Col TE Adlam VC of the 7th Bedfordshires was one of the lucky ones who survived the First World War on the battlefields of the Somme. Sadly thousands didn't and today was also a day of Remembrance to those that lost their lives.

This morning I joined the people of Salisbury and watched my father lay a Wreath at the War Memorial, where my grandfathers commemorative stone is laid.

After the introductions from the the Rector of St Thomas's Church, the Last Post was sounded, followed by a 2 minutes silence and then the laying of the wreaths at the War Memorial.

From the War Memorial a wonderful parade took place on its way to St Thomas's Church for a commemorative service to remember all those that lost their lives and the ending of the First World War 100 years ago.

Here are a few images and a video from today, including my Grandfather Lt Col TE Adlam VC, my father Clive Adlam and images from today's events etc.

The parade returning to the War Memorial

My grandfathers commemorative stone at the War Memorial

My grandfather in his early years.

My grandfather receiving a Gold Watch from the Mayor of Salisbury in 1916

The Guildhall today.

A wonderful tribute.

The parade leaving the Market Square

The many Wreaths at the War Memorial.

And ours from the Adlam Family

The words of my father remembering his father.

Myself and my father Clive

My grandfathers citation

My father wearing his fathers medals on the right as a mark of respect for the VC

My own RAF medals including the Gulf War, Kuwait Liberation, Bahrain and 33 years Long Service and Good Conduct Medal.

Note
And as a final note the voice of my grandfather is on Peter Jackson's "They Shall Not Grow Old" on BBC 3 tonight at 9:30pm and then on BBC iPlayer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2017
Today's Sightings Here