7 Nov 18

Penns Wood, St Andrew's Church, Church Ope Cove and Rufus Castle

Well I thought I'd timed it right, there was a break in the weather and so I took the opportunity to do a quick circuit of the woods, cove and castle. Timing is everything and it wasn't on my side today, as I got a good soaking not once, not twice but three times as wave after wave of squally showers came up the island.

At least it wasn't in vain as I stopped off in Penns Wood and recorded at least 3 Goldcrests, 2 Chiffchaffs, 4 Great Tits, 3 Blue Tits, a Wren and 7 Chaffinches.

On the beach no sign of the Black Redstart from yesterday, which wasn't surprising as the wind and rain was coming straight in here. There were however several Rock Pipits again and 2 Pied Wagtails which appear to have joined them all feeding on what I believe are Bristly-legged Seaweed-flies or Kelp Fly (Coelopa frigida). There are tens of thousands of these Kelp flies here, so no doubt this beach will be worth visiting many times this Autumn for more birds.

All the Rock Pipits here were their "usual" dark colouration, but one bird stood out from them all, with pale yellow underparts and an overall light fawn colour. Odd!

Here are a few images from today:

Penns Wood looking very Autumnal. All we need now is a Yellow-browed Warbler or a Firecrest to grace its trees.

Stormy seas off Church Ope Cove.

Dozens of wasps still on the Ivy.

A male Blackbird has set up camp around the huts at the back of Church Ope Cove.

On the beach a 1st Winter Pied Wagtail.

And another.

Several Rock Pipits still on the beach feeding on the thousands of Kelp flies.

All the individuals I saw were fairly dark coloured, apart from......

......this individual which was pale yellow below.

Quite a fawny brown....

.....with pale brown legs.

The same bird perched on a boulder in front of me. Just a pale Rock Pipit I suppose!!

There are tens of thousands of these Kelp Flies on the beach, which should keep the Rock Pipits, Pied Wagtails and Wrens happy for a long time.

Birds Recorded: Wood Pigeon, 7 Rock Pipit, 2 Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, 2 Blackbird, 2 Chiffchaff, 3 Goldcrest, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Carrion Crow, 7 Chaffinch and 3 Goldfinch.

Also recorded several thousand Kelp Flies, 50+ wasps sp.

Wakeham

I wasn't quite how much birding I was going to be able to do today, as the weather was absolutely appalling, with gale force winds and squally showers, this morning.

A bit of interesting news though, which does seem to be a bit of a coincidence. The 5 Wood Lark I saw on Monday were seen at The Bill yesterday (See PBO News Here). Same birds, I obviously can't be sure, but did the birds I watch head northwest, settle to the north of the island and then head back south the next day. We will never know!!

Only birds I could report from this morning were 2 Great Tits, a Blue Tit and Chaffinch on the feeders. Hopefully more news later...............

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2017
Today's Sightings Here