7 Feb 18

Southwell

On the way back from Obs I came across 2 Short-eared Owls close to Southwell. I parked up at Sweethill and walked along the Southwell footpath just south of the village. The first bird I came across wasn't the Short-eared Owls but a Barn Owl. Unfortunately it was only on the wing briefly and I didn't see it again. Shortly afterwards a Short-eared Owl appeared in the rough grass field and then another joined it. I had fantastic views of them until they flew off towards the Top Fields to the south. Also here was a very obliging Kestrel, which allowed me to get to within 10 metres of it before it flew off.

A few Short-eared Owl photos from this afternoon.













Kestrel

A nice pose for the video camera

Twice whilst I stood there watching the owls a small flock of very "silent" birds took off from the horse fields and circled overhead. I can only presume they were Meadow Pipits as finches would have been vocal. Most odd.

Mystery birds

Another shot


Bird Observatory Area

Not much here, just 2 Kestrels, 2 Buzzards and a Raven.

Raven

A Jackdaw buzzes the Raven

And its off........

One of the 2 buzzards in the Estate Fields


Pennsylvania Castle wood and Church Ope Cove

It wasn't my intention to walk here, but having discovered that I had lost Dawns binoculars, I went straight here to have a look. Trouble was I'd lost them 2 days ago and had only just realised. When I was there on Monday I remembered putting the leads on the dogs as I knelt down. I can only surmise the bins rolled out of my pocket when I crouched down. I only hope that whoever has them now, looks after them better than I did.!!


The birds I did come across here whilst I was looking for the bins were the pair of Pied Wagtails on the beach where there was a Firecrest in the Hebes and also another Firecrest in Penn wood.

Church Ope Cove

The female Pied Wagtail..........

....and her mate.

The "hut" Robin.

And a Carrion crow in Penn wood

Wakeham

Yep, Day 9 and she's still with us. The female Blackcap is doing well in the back garden and it appears there are also 2 males in Southwell, so there a few around the island. It was also a bit of a "Noah" day as well today, with 2 Great Tits, 2 Blue Tits and 2 Robins all visiting the feeders.

The 2 Blue Tits either side of the female Blackcap

Here the Blackcap is taking a suet pellet to eat elsewhere.

The suet pellets are going down a treat.

Ships Today

This is the Yasemin a Maltese General Cargo vessel on its way out of Southampton to an unknown destination!. More on this vessel Here.

This is the Cypriot general cargo vessel the Fri Brevik on its way from Terneuzen, Holland to Waterford, Ireland. More on this vessel Here.

This is the John Friedrich K. a Dutch General Cargo vessel on its way from Teignmouth to Shoreham. More on this vessel Here.