2 Jan 18

Portland Bird Observatory, Top Fields and Culverwell.

An hour spent here this evening (4:00pm - 5:00pm) looking for Short-eared Owls. There were none, but despite the lack of owls there were still some good birds about, right up until I returned to the Obs to see a Water Rail in the pond. I wish I'd walked around onto the patio area with a bit more care, as I'm sure I would have got better views of it. As it was it saw me and was off into the bushes.

Before I'd started my walk I had a quick scan across the sea and straight away had my first Shag and Gannet. In the Obs garden 5 Goldfinches flew in and in the bushes a Robin was singing quietly away.

From here I crossed the road and up to the top fields were there were plenty of corvids mainly Carrion Crows and Jackdaws, plus 2 Ravens cronking. Further up I came across a Kestrel on a post, 2 Meadow Pipits, Wrens and a Song Thrush.

Dropping down into Culverwell there were 2 more Song Thrushes with one singing. Also here a couple of Blackbirds, Goldcrests, Dunnocks and a Robin. Walking back to the obs in near darkness another Meadow Pipit was heading south overhead into the strong breeze.

And then back at the Obs with the Water Rail.

A Kestrel overlooking the Estate Fields


A Song Thrush singing in Culverwell this evening.

Birds Recorded were: Gannet, Shag, Kestrel, Water Rail, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 3 Meadow Pipit, Dunnock, Robin, 3 Song Thrush, Goldcrest, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw. Raven, Chaffinch and Goldfinch.