19 Jan 18

Lodmoor RSPB Reserve

Having missed out on the Lesser Yellow-legs, Cattle Egret, Slavonian Grebe and Red-necked Grebe on my last trip here, I decided to see if could break this voodoo on arriving at a site only to find the birds I was after had flown. This time I was in luck and the two species I was looking for showed up well.

My first species was a Spoonbill, which has been at the Reserve for a few days now. I decided to park up in Southdown Avenue Here and walk anti-clockwise around the reserve. I was only a few metres into the Reserve and straight away I heard the jingling calls of Bearded Tits coming from the reedbeds. Sadly I didn't see any, but that might have been down to Marsh Harrier hunting low over the reeds here.

A bit further round I met a couple of birders Here, who informed me the Spoonbill was by the "Hump" which was on the opposite side to where we were standing. As we chatting, blow me down if it didn't fly in and land close to us. What a result and what a lovely bird despite all the coloured leg rings it was wearing.

Also in this area were 3 Little Grebe, Shelduck, Mallard, Teal, Moorhen, Coot, Lapwing, Dunlin, Snipe, Black-tailed Godwit, Black-headed Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Common Gull, a fly-by Kingfisher, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, Cetti's Warbler, Greenfinch and Bullfinch.
Continuing my walk I arrived at the Hump where there were many more Black-tailed Godwits and Dunlin feeding in the shallows here.

From here I walked down the path that bisects the reserve and comes out by Southdown Avenue. The sun was dropping fast, not ideal conditions to be looking for Greater Scaup which was my second quarry. Not sure if it was by luck or "skill", but I came across 40+ Pochard hard up against the reeds and I caught a glimpse of a bird that had a slightly darker back than the drake Pochards. Despite being in the shadows and me looking into the sun, it was possible to separate it from the Pochard which were also sleeping.

Using my scope I managed to to zoom in and bingo a Greater Scaup. Or that is what I thought, until I posted images of it on Social Media and it transpires that this bird is a hybrid and most likely a Pochard x Tufted Duck.

Here are few images from this afternoon:

The Spoonbill comes into land.

Sporting at least 6 coloured leg rings.

You can see how it gets its name.

Not obvious here but its caught a fish.

A quick flick and the fish has been thrown up from the tip of its bill and heading towards the mouth.

The Spoonbill feeding in the shallows.

Lots of Lapwings resting up in the shallows.

A close-up of this beautiful plover, which also goes by the names of Pee-wit and Green Plover

Two of the many Black-tailed Godwits here on the reserve.

And one of the many Snipe.........

.....here's on in flight.

Here are a few of the many Dunlin feeding in the shallows.

Pretending to be a drake Pochard, a Greater Scaup at the rear. Or so I thought......

......here's a side profile, but not of a Greater Scaup, but most likely a Pochard x Tufted Duck hybrid.

I very nearly didn't spot this hybrid in amongst the Pochard, as it was so similar in appearance. 

A Common Gull or not so common as it used to be.

A Bullfinch. it might not be in focus but there's no getting away with that white rump, which is what you normally see of this shy finch.
A bit of a surprise a Song Thrush out in the open. A very shy thrush, unlike Blackbirds which to a certain extent will tolerate man coming up close to it, Song thrushes will disappear very quickly into the bushes if they see you.
Birds Recorded: 5 Little Grebe, Cormorant, 1 Little Egret, 1 Spoonbill, Mute Swan, Canada Geese, Shelduck, Mallard, Gadwall, Teal, 10+ Shoveler, Tufted Duck, 1 Pochard x Tufted duck hybrid, 40+ Pochard, 1 Marsh Harrier, 5 Water Rail, Moorhen, Coot, 50+ Lapwing, 40+ Dunlin, 20+ Snipe, 20+ Black-tailed Godwit, Black-headed Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Common Gull, Wood Pigeon, 2 Collared Dove, 1 Kingfisher, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, 3 Cetti's Warbler, Bearded Tit, Wren, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 50+ Starling, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Bullfinch.