4 Feb 19

Bincleaves and Newton's Cove

Something a bit different day, a visit to Bincleaves Bay here. and a real coincidence that I visited the bay here on exactly the same day last year. I only reason I know, is that I have been adding a "On this day" link at the bottom of the page, which I didn't add until I got home. I might have to make a note in future to visit here on following years to come!!

There had been reports over the past few days of Black-throated Diver, Great Northern Diver, Slavonian Grebe and Black-necked Grebe all seen here. But not today, well certainly by me. The best I could do was 2 Great Crested Grebe and 1 Black-necked Grebe. It must be me, I did the same the other day at Sandsfoot Castle and drew a blank then.

Also here though were 14 Red-breasted Merganser, 2 Grey Herons and 2 Oystercatchers.

A bit of a disappointment really, but more than compensated with some great birds along the track Here leading to the Beach. I had 1 Firecrest, 3 Bullfinches, a Green Woodpecker, a Tawny Owl, my first Jays for my Port & Wey list and I'm going to have go back again as I could have sworn  I heard a Yellow-browed Warbler call, but after a good search it wasn't found, if indeed there was one!!

As I left the track and headed back towards the field I stopped off Here to have a look along the breakwater and to my delight there was a female Eider just off one of the jetty Here. Another first for me for my Port & Wey list.

Here are a few photos from a late afternoon walk.

Portland Harbour starting to mist over.

Looking east towards the breakwater.

And this time the Sandsfoot Castle in the west.

The track looking east. Loads of birds along here.

And the track descending to the beach.

Midway along the track there is a large clump of trees, where a Tawny Owl was calling.

Not the Tawny Owl but a Raven which came to investigate.

And one of the three Jays here and my first since I moved here back in May 2017.

A Grey Heron.

In Newton's Cove alongside the breakwater a.............

...........female Eider. It was the best I could with the camera. But you can just make out the flat head. Better views were with scope, which thank goodness I remembered to take this time.

Birds Recorded: 2 Great Crested Grebe, 1 Black-necked Grebe, Cormorant, 2 Grey Heron, 1 Common Eider, 14 Red-breasted Merganser, 2 Oystercatcher, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 1 Tawny Owl, 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 Grey Wagtail, 3 Jay, Magpie, 1 Raven, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Wren, Dunnock, 1 Firecrest, 2 Goldcrest, Robin, Blackbird, Redwing, Song Thrush, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch and 3 Bullfinch.

Wakeham

Great to see the male Great Spotted Woodpecker back in the garden again. That's now the 3rd time this year, that Dawn and I have seen it here now.

Always a treat to see a Great Spotted Woodpecker in the garden.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2018
Today's Sightings Here