10 Nov 18

Out and About

I certainly know when to choose my walks, and not for the first time I left the cottage in the sun and by the time I'd reached the beach at Church Ope Cove there was thunder and lightening and torrential hail and rain. Was it worth it, of course it was, as I managed to see the Black Redstart and around 7 Rock Pipits on the beach before the heavens opened.

Earlier I was in Penns Wood, where I met up with a chap called Franco. We came across a few Goldcrests but nothing else, so I headed down to Church Ope Cove. Franco on the other hand, on seeing the black clouds approaching, decided to go back to the car park. Turns out he made the right decision, as after the rain had stopped he found a Pallas's Warbler in the Railway Cutting just south of Glen Caravan Park.

Me I got soaked and when I got home it was a quick change and then into Weymouth shopping. As I was close to Radipole Lake I decided to have a quick look for the Ring-necked Duck and Scaup. It was only when I was there that I was told by another birder that there was a Pallas's Warbler opposite my house in Wakeham, which was seen there an hour ago and yep by Franco. As I blanked on the ducks I headed back home.

The car was unloaded and instead of heading down to the old railway cutting, I crossed the road opposite the cottage and decided to walk through the horse paddock area first. I'm glad I did as the first bird I encountered was a Firecrest. A good start.

As I walked further into the paddock I could see two groups of birders in the woods. As I approached, someone shouted Pallas's and sure enough there it was, with another Pallas's next to it. However the second bird turned out to be one of two Yellow-browed Warblers, which had joined the large flock of 20+ Goldcrests.

The whole flock was very mobile and I decided to leave the birders and head back to the paddock, where very fortunately the Pallas's Warbler turned up. Having taken a couple of photos I let the others know and sure enough we all managed reasonable views of the Pallas's and at least one of the two Yellow-browed Warblers and the Firecrest. Also here was a Chiffchaff.

After awhile the flock moved south and were last seen preparing themselves for roost just north of the Church Ope Car Park. Hopefully they will all be around for others to see tomorrow.

Here are a few photos from today:

Five Greenfinches on the feeders in the back garden this morning.

In fact there were actually six in the end.

The tide line at Church Ope Cove.

It must have been some storm last night to come over the shingle bank.

A few Rock Pipits on the beach, just the 7 from the 14 yesterday.

The Black Redstart braved the storm......

.......and seemed undeterred by the torrential rain falling.

The storm broke away a few crab pots. In fact.........

........four in total.

Two here and I did a quick check to see if there were any inhabitants. Alas not.

Lots of Cuttlefish bones washed up.

Across the road from the Cottage and this is where I and several other birders had brief.......

........but lovely views of the Pallas's Warbler.

Here are a few of the birders here with more on the other side of the tree in the centre.

And this is what we came to see, a Pallas's Warbler.

A very striking yellow and black eye stripe, despite hidden behind the branch.

A better view.

And a marginally better one. It's interesting to note that the one and only Pallas's seen last Autumn (by yours truly) was only a week later on 18 Nov 19.

Birds Recorded today: 1 Cormorant, 2 Mute Swan, Tufted Duck, Pochard, Moorhen, Coot, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, 7 Rock Pipit, 2 Pied Wagtail, 1 Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Black Redstart, Blackbird, Cetti's Warbler, 1 Chiffchaff, 1 Pallas's Warbler, 1 possibly 2 Yellow-browed Warbler, 20+ Goldcrest, 1 Firecrest, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch and Greenfinch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2017
Today's Sightings Here