20 Feb 18

Wakeham

Well all good things come to an end eventually, and it does look as if the female Blackcap, after 3 weeks of visiting the feeders in the back garden, has moved on. I think this particular Blackcap has been the longest stayer I have come across in 51 years of bird watching. A majority of over-wintering Blackcaps I have had in any of my back gardens have only stayed for a few days before moving on. The most I ever had was 2 females and a male bird which over-wintered in my back garden in Shropshire many years ago.

Despite the non-appearance of the Blackcap, the feeders were busy again with a pair of Blue Tits, 2 Goldfinches, 2 Chaffinches, 2 Great Tits and a Robin all visiting. An unusual sight was a male House Sparrow on the sunflower seeds, all the other occasions the Sparrows have been on the Fat Balls.

The pair of Blue Tits get ready to feed on the suet pellets.

A Chaffinch comes into land on the sunflower seed feeder. A Goldfinch is already on it.

In the foreground a second Goldfinch on the Cherry tree.

This is the first time I have seen a House Sparrow on the sunflower seed feeder. The Goldfinch doesn't seem to bothered.

It looks like I was wrong. Mind you with that menacing looking face would you hang around!!

And always a lovely addition to the garden a Collared Dove. The first breeding pair of Collared Doves was way back in 1957 at Cromer, Norfolk, but for some reason though they are now in decline. Different farming methods I guess.