9 Jan 18

Church Ope Cove

The days are supposed to be getting longer now, but somehow that meteorological fact seemed to be missing here on Portland, with the dullest day I've encountered since I moved here. An afternoon walk down to Church Ope Cove was almost like an evening walk, as the endless grey clouds covered both land and sea. If I'd known it was going to be that gloomy I would have taken a torch with me.

With conditions really poor I was amazed there was anything about. The main highlight was 3 Peregrine Falcons calling to each other as they headed south over the cove. Out to sea I managed to see 2 Gannets and 5 Cormorants, before they all disappeared into the sea fog.

"Land" birds were really difficult to locate and apart from the "Hut" Robin the best birds were the 2 "resident" Firecrests feeding in the Hebe behind the beach huts. Other than that there were a few Wood Pigeons, 3 Herring Gulls and a Blackbird.

A silhouette of one of the three Peregrine Falcons.

One of the 3 Peregrine Falcons over Church Ope Cove in slo-mo.

My bit for the environment - 7 pieces of plastic which included 2 golf balls and fishing lure fund on the beach.