15 Mar 20

Portland Bird Observatory, Crown Estate Fields, Top Field, Southwell Barns, Sweethill, South-west Coast Path (south) and Culverwell.

My mission today was walk the above route in the hope of finding a Wheatear. I succeeded with 3 in the horse field just east of Culverwell Here.

My walk actually started off well with 4 Stonechat in the Crown Estate Fields, followed by 12 Chiffchaff in and around the waste hay/straw patch by the barns Here.

From the Barns I crossed over Sweet Hill and down to the coast path where I headed south. Along this stretch I had no less than 14 Stonechat, all moving up the island, with at least 4 males singing.

I had planned to walk down to the Bill, but upon finding the 3 male Wheatear I opted to walk back up to the main road for a better view of them.

Here are a few images and a video from today:

The Barns where this waste tip of straw and hay attracted around 12 Chiffchaffs.

One of the Chiffs searching for flies in amongst the straw.

And a bit of competition from the resident birds.

I don't think I've ever seen so many Stonechats as I did today with 18 recorded. This is a male one of a few which was singing.

For a split second I thought I had got myself a Ring Ouzel. No such luck, it's just a Blackbird and a twig 

One of the 3 Wheatears.

And number 2.

And further away number 3.

A very short video of one of the Wheatears.

These Kentish Snails were pretty widespread along the tracks I was walking.
  
Danish Scurvygrass, Cochlearia danica

That frown, because he knows he's having a bath when he gets back.

Birds Recorded: Cormorant, Peregrine Falcon, Kestrel, 15+ Pheasant, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 10+ Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Rock Pipit, Dunnock, Robin, 18 Stonechat, 3 Wheatear, Blackbird, 12 Chiffchaff, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Linnet and Goldfinch

Flies, Gnats and Midges Recorded: Yellow Dung Fly (Scathophaga stercoraria)

Slugs and Snails Recorded: Kentish Snail (Monacha cantiana)

Ships Today

This is the Cargo Ship "Felix" flying the flag of Antigua Barbuda. It is on its way from St Petersburg (Russia) to Plymouth. More on this vessel Here.

This is the Tanker "Anuket Ruby" flying the flag of Panama. It is on its way from Dordrecht (Holland) to Plymouth. More on this vessel Here.

This is the British Aircraft Carrier "Prince of Wales" in Weymouth Bay as seen from Sweet Hill.

More on this vessel Here.

One last shot.

Wakeham

This morning 3 Chiffchaffs in the back garden with one singing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today's Sightings Here.