7 Jul 18

Bottom Combe Quarry

Another visit to the old railway line for the Large Tortoiseshell. I had heard that several people had searched in vain this morning, so I thought I'd have a look this afternoon. The verdict, its gone.

When I saw it yesterday it was very interested in the Blackberry flowers, which are blossoming everywhere on the island. So I suppose it's spoilt for choice and moving from one patch to another. I'm sure it will turn up again.

In the meantime it was another crop of other butterflies seen with Small Skipper, Large Skipper, Large White, Speckled Wood, Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Marbled White, Peacock and Small Blues all recorded.

On the moth front a few Six-spot Burnet moths, a Rosy-striped Knot-horn (Oncocera semirubella) and a Silver Y.

Other bugs and things included Swollen-thighed Beetles, Common Red Soldier Beetles, sweat bees sp. and my first Emperor Dragonfly (Anax imperator) on Portland.
Here are a few images from this afternoon:

Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Large Skipper, female I think.

Meadow Brown

Marbled White

And another.

Peacock

Six-spot Burnet Moth

Rosy-striped Knot-horn

A different view

Emperor Dragonfly (Anax imperator)

Swollen-thighed Beetles

Common Red Soldier Beetles

One of the sweat bees (above). Not sure what the other insect is.

As above.

Broad Centurian (Chloromyia formosa)

As above

A wasp sp. with a Semaphore fly

Semaphore Fly.

The male here is trying to attract the attention of the female above.

A Stock Dove.

And in my back garden this morning a Silver Y moth.