28 Jul 18

Mermaid Track and Rufus Castle

A much shorter and faster walk this afternoon, as another hefty shower threatened. As I left the cottage it was wall to wall blue sky, but a hundred metres down the road and those black clouds rolled in again. For once (I normally get caught out) the edge of the shower was just north of me, so I was saved a soaking.

With gusts up to 40 mph, I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised to only see 1 Chalk Hill Blue and 2 Six-spot Burnet moths. And apart from a 3 inch juvenile Wall Lizard that was it.

A lone Chalk Hill Blue

One of just two Six-spot Burnet Moths found.

And looks are deceptive, this is a very tiny Wall Lizard..........

....all of 3 inches I reckon.

Wakeham

Well the promised rain did arrive today. Once in the early hours of the morning and again mid-afternoon. Unfortunately it will probably do more harm than good, especially with the grass. Any light surface water, as most people know, will only encourage the roots to turn upwards, only to be burnt off by the baking sun. Not that it would make any difference in my back garden, the grass has been replaced by hard packed soil!

Before this afternoons squally shower came in off the sea, a Comma visited the hanging banana, which has been fermenting away now for a good week or so. I got the idea from a Twitter Feed Here and though it's taken awhile, it does work.

This Comma has found the over-ripe banana I placed in a bird feeder in the back garden.

It's taken awhile, but it does at least prove that fermenting bananas work. I'm sure other fruits would work just as well such as oranges, grapefruits, cantelope, strawberries, peaches, nectarines, kiwi, apples, pears and watermelon. With bananas, apparently freezing them and then thawing them, turns them to mush which is especially popular with butterflies. Some species even love a “brew” of rotting fruit, molasses, beer, and brown sugar.