28 Jun 18

Mermaid Track, Rufus Castle, St Andrews Church and Pennsylvania Castle Wood

There seems to be no end to this hot sunny weather and today seemed hotter despite the north-easterly breeze. I left it bit late this morning for a walk and that was noticeable by the lack of anything of note, other than my first Small Copper of the year. Other butterflies recorded were 4 Marbled Whites, 5 Meadow Brown, 6 Ringlets, 2 Large Whites, 2 Large Skippers and 1 Speckled Wood.

I didn't see a single moth, in particular 6-spot Burnet moths. You normally see at least one on this walk.

The sound of many grasshoppers was noted, not that I saw many. What I did see were dozens of Red-tailed Cuckoo-bees that have found a field full of what I believe is Goldenrod, or something very similar.

It looks like it was even too hot for the Wall Lizards and it's been a few days since I've seen one anywhere.

Here are a few images:

Church Ope Cove on a very hot June day.

One of a few Marbled Whites seen.

Just the one Speckled Wood found in Penn's Wood, where it was few degrees cooler in the welcome shade.

I think this is Goldenrod. Whatever it is, it is very popular with the bees, especially Red-tailed Cuckoo-bees.