15 May 18

 Broadcroft Quarry Pools, Bumpers Lane, Rufus Castle, St Andrew's Church and Pennsylvania Castle Wood.

Did my walk in reverse today, I didn't fancy walking up those steps to Rufus Castle.  A few birds about with Blackcap singing in Bumpers Lane and the grounds of St Andrews Church, a Common Whitethroat and Chiffchaff close to Rufus Castle and a Willow Warbler singing in Pennsylvania Castle Wood.

A few butterflies out in the glorious sun with several Large Whites & Small Whites, a tatty Common Blue and 2 Dingy Skippers. The latter two first for the year.

Still quite a few Green-longhorn moths about, with a few in the copse half-way down the steps from Rufus Castle on your left and more by the Broadcroft Quarry Pools. I also came across a small white moth, which I thought was a white petal dropping from a tree. I managed a couple of photos, which unfortunately were slightly out of focus. I'm pretty certain its Elachista argentella (Swan-feather Dwarf), a moth that can be found flying in daylight hours and by the coast.

Not too many hoverflies about this afternoon, possibly to warm for them. However there were many bees about. 

On the mammal front one bunny, which brings me to a survey being carried out by the Mammal Society. On the BBC News this morning the BTO (they also monitor mammals) announced that wild bunnies have declined 60% in the last 20 years and 5% in the last 12 months. More on this Here including an App which allows you to participate in the Mammal Societies bunny survey.

Here are few images from this afternoon.

A rather tatty Common Blue

One of the 2 Dingy Skippers out today.

Green-longhorn moth..........

..........and another........

......and another. Why not.

My mystery moth, which I "cut off" its head....

....and then poorly focused the camera for a second shot before it flew off. I'll stick my hand up and say that this is most likely Elachista argentella (Swan-feather Dwarf).

A Honey Bee.

Just the one bunny today. Apparently numbers are dwindling so much that there is an App for people to use to log their sightings Here.

St Andrew's Church

And a very leafy Pennsylvania Castle Wood.