20 Oct 18

Broadcroft Quarry Lane and Pools.

A very bright, sunny and warm afternoon. I wasn't expecting to see much and was surprised to come across a Redwing, 2 Song Thrushes and 4 Blackbirds in the lane. All 7 birds were feeding on Hawthorn berries which unbeknown to me were hidden behind a Sallow. Unfortunately as I stumbled upon them, they all took off and headed off towards the pool area.

Further up the lane were 6 Chiffchaffs and try as I could, I couldn't turn any of them into Yellow-browed or Pallas's Warblers. There's still time yet.

Around the pools were 2 more Chiffchaffs and close-by I could here the Redwing and Blackbirds calling.

As I headed back home a Siskin, Meadow Pipit and several Linnets flew over, whilst in the lower paddock brambles there were 2 more Blackbirds and a very conspicuous Song Thrush. Its not often you see a Song Thrush out in the open, so this was quite a treat.

The view from the pool across Broadcroft Quarry Lane and the lower horse paddocks.

In the lane were 6 Chiffchaffs. Here's one and.......

.......another.

Quite a surprise to see a Song Thrush out in the open.

It was pretty wary about its surroundings, but didn't seem to bothered about me close by.

One of several Robins which have set up their winter quarters.

Birds Recorded: 1 Buzzard, Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, 2 Skylark, 2 Swallow, 5
Meadow Pipit, Dunnock, Robin, 6 Blackbird, 1 Redwing, 3 Song Thrush, 8 Chiffchaff, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Linnet, 1 Siskin and Goldfinch.

Also recorded: 2 Red Admiral