18 Nov 18

Radipole Reserve

Having broken my camera yesterday, it was off to Curry's today to get a replacement. Sadly the Canon SX50 HS is no longer sold and the next generations the SX60 and SX70 are not a patch on the SX50. Not only that, but it appears that Curry's must be aware of this and they don't even sell them. So my next camera is going to be a SONY Cyber-shot HX400VB Bridge Camera. I don't know how it's going to compare, but I do have 21 days to try it out.

Whilst I'm waiting for it to be delivered I'm using my backup camera, which is a Fujifilm FinePix S8200. Its a bit clumsy but at least I've got a camera to photograph the wildlife still.

Having left Curry's I parked up in the Swannery Car Park and made my way to this spot Here, where yesterday I'd noticed several birders standing whilst they were watching the Ring-necked Duck tucked under the reeds Here. However as it became apparent today, the Ring-necked Duck had other ideas and was in this stretch of water Here.

Before I headed off round it was great to watch 5 Great White Egrets suddenly appear over the reed beds. Up until yesterday there had only been 3, so an addition of 2 more birds is pretty exciting. At this rate they'll outnumber the Little Egrets.

Eventually I made my way around to the Tennis Court Car park and having parked up crossed the road and there was the Ring-necked Duck hard up against the reed beds. Eventually it did come out into the open water, and I managed a couple of shots before it did a vanishing act!!

Here are a few images from today:

One of the Great White Egrets at Radipole today.....

.......and another. The other 3 disappeared into reed beds before I could latch onto them.

A few Cormorants drying off in the Autumn sun.

A beautifully looking drake Shoveler.

And a Shelduck.

And my poor effort of the Ring-necked Duck.

Here's another shot and seconds later it vanished.

Two Black-headed Gulls pose for me by the Reserve Centre.

Church Ope Cove

Very little about in the brisk northeasterly blowing in here. In the shelter there were up to 12 Rock Pipit and 3 Wrens.

A stormy beach at Church ope Cove.

One a dozen Rock Pipits searching for Kelp Flies.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2017
Today's Sightings Here, including the Pallas's Warbler I saw exactly a year ago today.