15 Nov 18

Portland

Just before I headed off to Weymouth, another tweet came through that the Pallid Swift was still around the west cliffs. So I thought I'd take a slight detour and have a look to see if it was still about.

As usual I turned up to find out that it had moved further up the west side towards Tout Quarry. I stuck it out for 15 minutes or so and then by luck the chap I was talking to, Julian had a phone call to say that it had been sighted in Chesil Cove.

Well what can I say, I was heading that way anyway and I timed it to perfection. I parked up by the wall and walked along the promenade and past Quiddles Cafe and there was the Pallid Swift just below Tout Quarry Here. After watching it with Brendan Shields and Sam Lloyd for a good 20 minutes it then headed off over Chiswell, no doubt looking for somewhere to roost for the night.

After watching the Pallid Swift I headed off to the Swannery Car Park, just on the off chance the Franklin's Gull was there, but it appears it may have moved on.

So difficult to focus on this very busy Pallid Swift. I tried to zoom in but failed miserably, so I had to resort to a wider field of view. I have also slowed it down to 70% speed. It was very fast.

Here are a few images ranging from bad to horrendous.











Broadcroft Quarry Lane and Pools

A busy lane this morning with 6 Redwing, 8 Great Tits, 4 Blue Tits, 9 Chaffinches, 2 Greenfinch, 3 Blackbirds, 2 Song Thrush and a Chiffchaff.

Overhead the 5 overwintering Woodlark flew northeast and several Fieldfare were heading in the opposite direction.

Not seen by me but as I was tweeting the 5 Woodlark a Pallid Swift was seen on the opposite side of the island. More Here.

Here are few photos from this morning:

One of the 6 Redwing around the lane.

A Chiffchaff is a "new" arrival here.

Always nice to see a Greenfinch.

And one of the local Dunnocks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2017
Today's Sightings Here.