10 Aug 18

Mermaid Track, Rufus Castle, St Andrews Church and Pennsylvania Castle Wood.

The first significant and much needed rain fell this morning and throughout the day. There was a brief interlude where I managed to get out for a walk, though the last 200 metres I did get a real soaking as the heavens opened again.

The bit in between was good and despite a stiff southerly wind, the sun did come out and with it a few butterflies, bees and hoverflies.

Main highlight was my first ever Lesser Hornet Hoverfly (Volucella inanis), which does make me wonder whether I have overlooked others in the past and passed them off as Hornet Mimic Hoverfly (Volucella zonaria).

Butterflies seen were several "blue" butterflies, a Green-veined White, 2 Commas and a Large White.

Other than the Lesser Hornet Hoverfly, I came across Common Drone Fly and Marmalade Hoverfly.

In a couple of places I came across a few Wall Lizards with 2 in the grounds of St Andrew's Church and a juvenile just north of Rufus Castle.

I can't remember the last time I came across a Bloody-nosed Beetle (Timarcha tenebricosa), but I found one marching across the southwest coast path and another which was life expired.

Here are a few images from this afternoon:

This is a Lesser Hornet Hoverfly (Volucella inanis) and is........

..........my first one on the island. It is slightly smaller than the similar Hornet Mimic Hoverfly (Volucella zonaria) and I came across it on the Mermaid Track..........

........where I also came across this bumblebee, which I'm struggling to ID. It looks like a Shrill Carder Bee (Bombus sylvarum) but they are very rare and found mainly in the South-east, along the M4 corridor and South Wales. More on Shrill Carder Bee Here. Most likely it is a Cuckoo Bee either a Gypsy Cuckoo Bumblebee (Bombus bohemicus) or Forest Cuckoo Bee (Bombus sylvestris). I'm just waiting for an ID.

A Bloody-nosed Beetle......

.......makes its way across the South-west coast path.

Good to see that a few Wall Lizards have produced............

...........a few little ones. This one was just off the South west Coast Path on the way down to Rufus Castle.

Here is an adult in the grounds of St Andrew's Church, which is probably the best place on the island to see them.

Comma

A Holly Blue

Rough Seas.

Its been awhile since the sea has been this rough.

Looking south across Church Ope Cove

The grounds of St Andrew's Church, still looking parched but the heavy rain this morning and late afternoon should help.