30 Jul 18

Wyke Regis

As Dawn was driving home last night at around 11:35pm, a Badger crossed the road in front of her Here at Wyke Regis and headed up the drive to Chesil Vista Holiday Park.

Mermaid Track and Bumpers Lane

A late afternoon walk in the sun. The heavy rain from yesterday fizzled out in the early hours of this morning, leaving a cloudy start to the day. Still quite windy, but temperatures high enough that you didn't need a jacket.

Main highlight was the number of Chalk Hill Blues out along the Mermaid Track. There must have been a good dozen or more males with a couple of females in amongst them. A complete contrast to their usual patch along Bumpers Lane where all I could find was a pair. I say a pair they were actually a good 50 metres apart.

I know butterflies like moths can vary in size, but one female Chalk Hill Blue was almost half the size of the other females. Most odd. Turns out it was a Common Blue and as you will see from the images below most of my female Chalk Hill Blues were in fact all Common Blues.

Other butterflies seen were a couple of Red Admirals, a Large White, 2 Ringlets and a Gatekeeper.

On the moth front no Six-spot Burnet or Silver Y's found, but I did come across a Mint Moth.

Also recorded were Common Field Grasshoppers (Chorthippus brunneus), Common Green Grasshoppers (Omocestus viridulus), 2 Common Dronefly (Eristalis tenax) and a Syrphus sp. hoverfly.

Here are few images from this afternoon:

A Red Admiral along the Mermaid Track

Also along here a Ringlet in its usual sitting position..........

.........so it was nice change to see this one open its wings for me. Not a sight you normally see.

A male Chalk Hill Blue

And a worn female Chalk Hill Blue or so I thought. Turns out its a Common Blue.

Now this one has me completely bamboozled. I'm going to say a female Chalk Hill Blue..........

........but its half the size of the female above and its another Common Blue. Oh dear I think from now on I shall just label them as "Blue" butterflies.
A lone Gatekeeper.

Along Bumpers Lane, this patch of short grass last year was absolutely covered in Chalk Hill Blues.

This year one female.

And a tatty one at that.

And a good 50 metres away a male. And that was it.

A Mint moth

Common Dronefly

And a hoverfly. Closest I can get is a Syrphus sp.