14 Jul 18

Wakeham

A disappointing day, especially as I was looking forward to my first AGM at the Portland Bird Observatory. Unfortunately I was stuck indoors all day waiting for a parcel delivery which should have arrived in the morning, but didn't turn up until late afternoon. Well there's always next year.

Instead the only highlight of the day was listening to House Martins calling from the front of the cottage and coming across a Rove Beetle. As to which species there are a good dozen or more to choose from.

I also came across a Common Wasp which I thought at first was stuck in a spiders web. In fact I couldn't have been further from the truth, it was actually trying to remove spiders catch.

A Rove Beetle trundles across the garden.......

......and then climbed a piece of grass before flying off.

First impression was that this Common Wasp was trapped in the spiders web. In fact it was trying to grab the spiders trappings. Time after time it flew in and despite getting stuck on the silk web, it attempted to pull the prey away. Eventually and unsuccessfully it flew off empty handed.