12 Mar 18

The Bill

Around the fields and east/west cliffs 11 Wheatears (7 male, 4 female), my first this Spring. other highlights a Reed Bunting over the Estate Field, 2 Goldcrests and a Firecrest in Culverwell and a bizarre sighting of a Cormorant drying its wings out whilst floating on the sea.

The freshly ploughed fields on the Crown Estate opposite the obs are attracting quite a few Herring Gulls and Jackdaws.
A strange black object bobs about on the sea........


........you do see some odd things from time to time and as I looked out across the sea I could see something black bobbing about on the surface. It was only when I zoomed in that I realised it was a Cormorant drying out its wings. And there I was thinking they only ever did that on "land".

This was a bit easier to identify straight away - a Gannet.

My first Wheatear of Spring


 I'm sure there will be many more......

....and my second.........

...........a very smart looking male.

On the other side along the west cliff.......

.....were 9 more Wheatears.

A female Chaffinch at Culverwell where there also 2 Goldcrests and a Firecrest.


A Raven over the West Cliff.


Choppy seas at The Bill.

Birds Recorded: 2 Gannet, 1 Shag, 1 Cormorant, Buzzard, 3 Kestrel, 2 Oystercatcher, Herring Gull, Guillemot, Wood Pigeon, 12+ Skylark, 30+ Meadow Pipit, 2 Rock Pipit, Dunnock, Robin, 11 Wheatear, Blackbird, 2 Goldcrest, 1 Firecrest, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 2 Raven, Starling, Chaffinch, Linnet, Goldfinch and 1 Reed Bunting.