24 Dec 17

Pennsylvania Castle wood and Church Ope Cove

Another visit to Penn's wood and Church Ope Cove and even though I located the flock of Long-tailed Tits at the back of Church Ope Cove, the best I could find in amongst them were 2 Firecrests and 2 Goldcrests. If the Yellow-browed Warbler was with them, it was well hidden and silent.

On the beach 2 Rock Pipits and the male Pied Wagtail, other than that just 4 Wrens.

Most of the action was out to sea with a continuous stream of Gannets all heading down towards the Bill. I would estimate that in the hour I was down there, there were in the region of 50+ of all ages. In amongst them were dozens of auks which I think were mostly Razorbills.

Here are a few images from this afternoon:

A very dull and drizzly afternoon at Church Ope Cove.

Lots of Gannets of all ages heading south.

An adult gives me a shot of its undercarriage.

Here is an immature Gannet (I think I've got this right with the age!)

Two adults above the skyline.

A short video of two of the many Gannets heading south towards The Bill.

More Gannets and a Razorbill pass Church Ope Cove heading south.

In this photo two auks presumably Razorbills.

A Wren gives a burst of song whilst I was in Penn's Wood.

Birds Recorded: 50+ Gannet, Shag, Cormorant, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 2 Rock Pipit, 1 Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, 3 Goldcrest, 2 Firecrest, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch and Goldfinch.

Also 1 White-tailed Bumblebee