20 Oct 17

Bumpers Lane

This afternoon along Bumpers Lane there were 7 Stonechats (6m,1f), 1 Wheatear, 4 Chiffchaffs and 3 Goldcrests.

Also about were several Goldfinches, including one that allowed me to get within 4 metres of it as it was plucking seeds from a flower head. Amazing when you realise that I also had both my dogs next me.

A pair of Kestrels were "whizzing" around in the wind and a Buzzard was heard calling from the direction of Broadcroft Quarry.

There were plenty of Robins about, along with several Blackbirds and a Song Thrush. One Blackbird was going through its moult and looked a right mess. I'm sure he'll look good when the new feathers come through.

One of 7 Stonechats along Bumpers lane this afternoon.

Here is another male.

...and another.

This was the only female with the males......

...and having flown off the rock decided to sit quietly in amongst the Old Man's Beard (Clematis vitalba)

A single Wheatear on its way south.

One of the pair of Kestrels here today.

I cannot believe I managed to get within 4 metres of this Goldfinch.

I was that close I even managed a bit of fill-in flash, which didn't phase it one bit. It just carried on feeding on the seeds and was still there when I walked off with the two dogs in tow!

This male Blackbird reminds me of Hans Christian Andersen's story of an ugly duckling that grew up to be a beautiful Swan. I suspect this was a juvenile from a 3rd brood and as juvenile is now moulting to first-winter plumage.