27 Sep 17

Church Ope Cove

Before the rain came down this afternoon a quick walk became a very long walk (time-wise) as myself and 3 birdwatchers from Wales came across a Yellow-browed Warbler in Pennsylvania Castle woods above Church Ope Cove Here.

I'd been in the woods for a good 20 minutes or so watching the Goldcrests, Chiffchaffs and Long-tailed Tits foraging in the canopy above me. I was joined by chap called Colin who had travelled down with friends from Wales. After watching the birds for a little while longer, I headed off down to St Andrews Church and then Rufus Castle.

As I was photographing the Ivy Bees (Colletes hederae) at Rufus, Colin suddenly appeared at the top of the steps, to tell me there was a Yellow-browed Warbler at the spot where I had left him. I quick dash back and Colin's 2 friends were looking into the trees where it was last seen.

There are a lot of Sycamores and other very leafy trees in this wood and only by luck did I manage a fleeting glimpse of it high in the tree tops. As the rain came down it dropped into a Fig-type tree with large leaves, where only fleeting glimpses of it were seen. As the rain came down heavier I left at 3:15pm and headed home. Thank you to Colin, Paul and there other friend for going out of their way to tell me.

To hear what a Yellow-browed Warbler sounds like Click Here.

Also here were many Goldcrests, Chiffchaff and a Spotted Flycatcher.

Sadly no photos of the Yellow-browed Warbler but a few of the Spotted Flycatcher etc.

Spotted Flycatcher

Spotted Flycatcher

Spotted Flycatcher

Grey Squirrel

Ivy Bee - More on this bee Here

Common Drone Fly - Eristalis tenax