21 Aug 17

Church Ope Cove

Great to see that Summer is back. My usual walk down to Church Ope Cove via St Andrews Church. The grounds at St Andrews are an absolute sun trap and it was no wonder that there were so many insects about with Hornet Mimic Hoverflies, Common Droneflies, Tapered Droneflies, Dead Head Fly (Myathropa florea) and a male Migrant Hawker.

Butterflies here were Red Admiral, Comma, Meadow Brown, Large White and I hope I've got this right this time a Small Blue.

Other sightings on my walk were a couple of Wall Lizards on the steps up to Rufus Castle, a Kestrel doing quite well catching grasshoppers on the cliffs overlooking the Cove and two Wall butterflies that didn't stop long enough for a photo.

Other butterflies seen were Common Blue, Chalkhill Blue and I think I also had my first Adonis Blue.

 I also had 3 Chiffchaffs, a Raven and the usual herring Gulls.

Here are a few images:

A Speckled Wood in the shade of the wood close to Penns Castle.

A Small Blue.........

.......hopefully I've got it right this time. If so my first here.

A Common Dronefly........

......and Dead Head Fly, Myathropa florea.

A male Migrant Hawker, honest! Just a shame it wouldn't come to rest.

A Mimic Hornet Hoverfly

Church Ope Cove.

One of the Wall Lizards posing on the steps up to Rufus Castle.

A Kestrel hovering over the cliffs at the Cove.

A Green-veined White.

A Common Blue.....

And another!

Could this be an Adonis Blue with the black lines running through the white edging!