20 Aug 17

Southwell Area

My timings were definitely on point today, as I managed to get a couple of hours bird watching in before the rain started. Some great highlights with my first Grey Heron on the Portland, along with a Whimbrel  and 11 Yellow Wagtails.

Other migrants were 5 Wheatear, 2 Common Whitethroat, 1 Chiffchaff and 2 Willow Warbler.

By the farm just off Sweet Hill there were 5 Yellow Wagtails overhead, 2 Common Whitethroat in the hedgerow along with 2 Willow Warblers and a Chiffchaff. As I made my way down to Culverwell there were a pair of Ravens on the fence along with a pair of Herring Gulls. As I was watching them a Grey Heron flew over and landed in the field behind them.

At Culverwell I came across 3 Speckled Woods and what I believe were 5 Small Blues. Having checked the images later, these are definitely not Small Blues, despite their small size. The closest I can get is Common Blue, but so much smaller than any I've seen before. Odd!

As I crossed the road and onto the track opposite Culverwell there were dozens of pipits and wagtails in the horse fields either side of the track. It was here I met a chap called Nick and between us we counted another 6 Yellow Wagtails including one bright yellow adult, with the rest being immatures/females. Also in the field dozens of Linnets, six Pied Wagtails and several Meadow Pipits with lots of variations in colour. Whilst we stood there a Whimbrel flew over and headed North-west.

Carrying on down to the coast path and then heading north I came across 5 Wheatears and two pairs of Rock Pipits. And as I made my way up to the main road I had a surprise sighting of a Wall butterfly, which was very reluctant to open up its wings.

Across the path above Southwell towards the farm the field on the right was full of Jackdaws, Carrion Crows and a pair of Ravens.

Birds Recorded were: Cormorant, 1 Grey Heron, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Peregrine Falcon, 1 Kestrel, 1 Whimbrel, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 20+ Swallow, 15+ Meadow Pipit, 4 Rock Pipit, Pied Wagtail, 11 Yellow Wagtail, Dunnock, 4 Robin, 5 Wheatear, 7 Blackbird, 2 Common Whitethroat, 1 Chiffchaff, 2 Willow Warbler, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 2 Raven, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, 50+ Linnet and Goldfinch.

Here are a few images from today:

Same route as last Saturday.

A Willow Warbler close to the Farm at Southwell

To the north of Culverwell a Raven looks on.

Looking south from Culverwell towards the Lighthouse and Portland Bird Observatory

A Grey Heron comes into land just north of Culverwell.

Down the track to Culverwell where it was more sheltered there were 3 Speckled Woods........

........and what I think are Small Blues.

Here's another........

........same as above. However having sifted through images of Small Blues, these have different underwing markings and the closest I can get is Common Blues. The size of the butterflies I found here are considerably smaller than any Common Blue I've come across before.
.......and another Blue!

Close to the ponies hooves a Yellow Wagtail

Here two more a juvenile and adult.

A record shot of the Whimbrel overhead heading north-west.

A Small Heath landed next to me and Nick.

A Cormorant on the rocks.

On the track up to the main road a Wall butterfly.....

....which nearly opened its wings for me.

A Gatekeeper

And another Raven in the fields above Southwell.