18 Aug 17

St Andrew's Church

My walk to Church Ope Cove and Rufus Castle was halted in its tracks this morning, as the heavens opened and I was subjected to one of Portland's heavy showers. Sadly I only made it to St Andrew's Church. When it rains here, it rains and by the time me, Benji and Ted had got home we were absolutely soaked.

When I arrived in the sun, there was Red Admiral on the buddleia and beneath on the Hemp-agrimony were several Hornet Mimic Hoverflies (Volucella zonaria). Sadly that was all I managed before the rain fell.

However as we took refuge under one of the tall trees, it was fascinating to watch all the insects flying off into the surrounding woodland.

At first it was the Hornet Mimic Hoverflies and then a beautiful coloured male Clouded Yellow appeared from nowhere and disappeared into one of the Sycamore tree bordering the grounds. A few seconds later Hummingbird Hawk-moth flew in and with a Meadow Brown disappeared into the wood for shelter.

A female Hornet Mimic Hoverfly on Hemp Agrimony.........

..........and another female.

This time a male Hornet Mimic Hoverfly.......

..........and another.

The Rain on the Isle of Portland. Short but heavy!